Friday, April 20, 2018

My problem with the FIRE movement

I read alot of FI blogs about how the goal is to quit working and I don't know if I'm doing to wrong but that sounds like hell on earth to me. My mind needs to be occupied, I don't think I'll ever stop working as a pet minder I love it too much being able to work when I want and not commute every day or get up early (unless a dog vomits or urgently needs to go potty NOW and we do the mad dash through the house at 5 in the morning)...the not so fun side of pet minding BUT every job, heck I suppose everything in life has a downside no matter how small. We just have to decide if the good outweighs the bad each time.

I think without a doubt I'm more attracted to the FI than the RE part of FIRE.

Humans by nature love a goal, something to work towards and once the goal is achieved we become lost we have an idea of what FI will be and it turns out its not what we imagined. Humans need structure and routine, it gives us purpose, working for someone else we get so used to doing the same thing each day, wearing the same thing each day, x is due at x am we know what to expect for the most part of our working day, sure, curveballs are thrown up sometimes and most importantly we are social creatures we crave interaction from others.

Do people who reach FIRE just stop working one day or is it a gradual wind down of work and easing into retirement?

Being self employed is lonely, there are so many blogs, organisations and podcasts on connecting with others while you are self employed, being self employed you don't really have a structure for your day given to you on a silver platter you need to figure it out for yourself. If you want to lounge around in your pjs and only eating tim-tams for lunch then there is no one else to tell you not to shut up voice in my head I'm 30 years old I can do what I want! Oh no I'm out of tim tams. So in this regard I think I am uniquely positioned to give a different perspective of a FI journey, or maybe I'm just being cocky? Probably. I didn't realise it at the time but I had the FI just without the money part working for me. Don't get me wrong my dreams are probably going to be different from my reality and its not all going to be roses but I'm forever an optimist and I'll give it a good crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2019 Update- new houses and drug free!

Time slipped away! Whoops, you know how you get busy and doing "the thing" is always in the back of your mind but somehow more imp...