Monday, April 23, 2018

How I saved over $1,000 a YEAR on pet supplies! WARNING- SCAM!

$1,033.82 to be exact!

UPDATE: 10/05/2018 SCAM ALERT for Dogfood.com.au click here. Terrible customer service and my cat food order still hasn't arrived, they wont answer phone calls or return my emails. turns out if you google dogfood.com.au + scam alot of posts come up- bummer! But luckily Pet Circle to the rescue! Just got off the phone to my bank and they'll investigate and I should get my money back

This has been on my To-Do List for maybe 18 months or longer and last night I finally sat down and did it!

I looked up all the online pet shops (26 if you want to know) and Ebay suppliers, alot of the online pet stores also have ebay shops for cheaper, I need to research the four pet supplies I buy, small dog comfortis, medium dog comfortis, revolution for cats, advance cat biscuits 20kg bags and the store needed free delivery, one place wanted to charge me $31.93 to deliver while the majority of others was free delivery.



via GIPHY
This is what my cats do

I did mine old school in a note pad, no fancy spreadsheet to show you although I'll put my top three in a spreadsheet to keep an eye on when I need to re-order.

 So I just had shop name on vertical axis and what I needed & shipping along horizontal axis then wrote down all the figures from each shop, took about an hour of time.

The most annoying thing was going into shops and realising they didn't stock things I needed so they were scratched off my list and the shops that were so expensive I doubt they would price match.

Also sign up for newsletters they often have a welcome discount and try the abandon cart trick to see if that brings prices down.




The most expensive online shop turned out to be Pet Stock with the items ranging from $91-$109 and My Pet Warehouse at $145 for the cat food.

via GIPHY

My top five cheapest stores, two didn't have free shipping so they were out. Leaving my top three.

The cheapest prices I found was Budget Pets BUT keep an eye as the price does vary day to day in the 12 hours it took me from research to posting this blog post and hearing back from the other competitor prices raised by $72.24! And they didn't stock the cat food I wanted, but I then went to ebay and with a code I found Petbarn Ebay had green comfortis for $57.46, Products_worldwide had orange comfortis for $56.29 and budgetpetproducts (yep the same one listed above!) had revolution for $51.29 the next cheapest for revolution was Pet Circle for the cat food these prices range from $51-$112.19

I then emailed two of the three asking for price matching and providing costs of cheaper products but even if the companies reply they don't want to price match I can order from all three as they all have the free shipping.

The price difference from the most expensive to the cheapest items for the frequency I buy them works out to be almost a thousand dollars in my pocket each year! Not bad for an hour of my time.


via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment

2019 Update- new houses and drug free!

Time slipped away! Whoops, you know how you get busy and doing "the thing" is always in the back of your mind but somehow more imp...